Oct 2, 2009

The story behind my "Yo" Uncle's sheepish smiles!


Recently two uncles of mine, has come down to spend some time with us. I am pretty fond of both of them. One of them is lovingly known as Gundu mama (Gundu means fat in Tamil!) Everyone calls him like that only. In fact, majority of our common friends don’t know his real name at all. And the second one has landed straight down from Dubai. Nowadays he is trying to differentiate between Kozhambu (Kudumbu in his words) and Sambhar and also between Podi (chilli gunpowder) and Maavu (batter used for making Idly and Dosai). Thus, you can see his expert knowledge in Tamil. But he is one super cool person! So let’s call him the “Yo” uncle! (I do hope they don’t read this post in near future!)


Yesterday scene is something which is worth mentioning here. My mom generally makes the batter at home itself (In other words, Maavu archify with the help of the grinder). As in we don’t buy it from outside. She always does that in the evening but then, she remembered that she had to go to market to pick up few stuff!

My mom : Ok I have to go to market.
Yo uncle : (Since he knew that she had to carry out the maavu archifying process, he offered to help!) Oh ok akka, you carry on. I will put the podi in the grinder and finish your work.

[Sensing that some hilarious moments are about to follow, Yours sincerely and Gundu mama positioned ourselves on the sofa so that we don't miss out anything!]

My mom : ?!?!?! why do you need to put podi in the grinder?
Yo uncle: Why? Are you planning to buy podi from outside to make the Dosai?
My mom : AYIO! Podi is different. We use Maavu to make Dosai’s!
Yo uncle: “55 watt bulb sheepish smile” (In order to cover up the situation) ok then I will make Kudumbu!
Me : Is it a goan dish?! (He is from goa!)
Yo uncle: Eh? No, your mom only made it yesterday!
My mom : No I didn’t! I don’t even know how to make such a dish!
Yo uncle: But you made it yesterday for dinner!
My mom : What did I make for yesterday dinner?
My dad : Same old Sambhar! What else!

Laughter erupts which gets silenced by Mother dear’s chilly stare directed to dad!

My mom to Yo uncle: That was Sambhar!!
Yo uncle: “75 watt bulb sheepish smile”
Gundu Mama: What’s the connection between Kudumbu and Sambhar?! I mean, how can one get confused with 2 different words!
Yo uncle : Actually I thought Sāmbhar was the one which you made for today’s lunch!
My mom : Now what did I make for lunch?
My dad : You showed some mercy and made Kozhambu for a change!

Another laughing session which was again silenced by Mother dear’s threatening advances, following which my dad disappeared from the scene!

Mom : That’s Kozhambu !! Not Kudumbu!!
Yo uncle : “100 watt bulb sheepish smile!”

This announcement has been pending for a very long time! Parzi has awarded me Freakin Fabulous award.
Though I feel that I am not eligible to receive this award (as you can see from the amount of cobwebs my blog has gathered from past few weeks!) Please do visit her blog ! She is a total sweetheart with a nice blog!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think kuzhambhu has oil(vaththal kuzhambu,milagu kuzhambu) and sambhar has paruppu(thakkali,vendakka,murunga sambar)..this is the only difference I can grasp..any other reason...or are they both same??

Busy??

The Solitary Writer said...

ayyo...sambar is a kuzhambu
cutty thaanee......bt unga Mams tamil thaane.... ??nice :)) eppdi errukka niii?? never seen u since long...

The Solitary Writer said...

curry**

arun said...

he he... veetla daily sema comedy thaan pola...
ur dad has a grt sense of humor... just imagined those dialogues in tamil... heheheh...

Arjun said...

hahaha.... Guess wat, Even i have that doubt.. wats the difference between kozhambu and sambar... :P

And thank god u posted something... :) It was total fun...

Cheers...!!
Arjun

Vishnu said...

stumbled onto here from arjun's blog.. sema comedy post.. ur dad is a typical one.. lemme tell u 1 incident.. my mom had made vathal kuzhambu.. one of my friends who is not from south liked the dish very much.. he wanted more n so asked my mom.. "aunty, i want more **** kuzhambu".. he pronounced kuzhambu properly but screwd up the first part.. its a bad word(cut the 'l') for your info.. embarassing situation..

parzi said...

arreyyyyy...now that was hilarious...i dont know tamil...but ur words placed this perfect comedy scene b4 my eyes..ahmm uncle should be careful..hehehe...
very nice post dear!
keep giving us such wonderful surprises..n keep writing...n thanks a ton for accepting the award...n u truly deserve it[so no more arguments on tha]n thanks a ton for those sweet words...u r a sweetheart really!
thank you!
keep coming!
take care!
god bless!

Pooja Mahimkar said...

hey.. really nice post!
humorous i should say!

keep blogging

Thoorika said...

Lolz! Srivatsan! I see that your mom is a great cook! ;) :D Yeah have been lil busy offlate! Hwz you?! :) Take care!

Thoorika said...

Yeah Ste! Some ppl do believe that while some dont! Mams is not tamil. Hence so much confusion! :D Am fine! what about you?! Hwz you?!

Thoorika said...

Hey Arun, You imagined the dialogues in Tamil?1 Good good.. then oly you can get the real picture! :D

Thoorika said...

Arjun, for your question refer to Srivatsan's Comment!! :p :P Take care!

Thoorika said...

Welcome Vishnu! Gosh! that would have been one really embarrassing situation! Poor Guy!!!

Thoorika said...

Thanks parzi dear! You take care :)

Thoorika said...

Thanks Pooja! keep coming! Take care

Arv said...

Lighter moments with languages are fun especially when they are with family :)

Have a lovely time :)

cheers...

The Solitary Writer said...

so better teach ur Mams Tamil. .. hence there wont be any confusion haha ..m good paa...ni sollu...job kidaichha

Anonymous said...

oh god I shouldn't laugh, my tamil is LOUSY!!! :P

Yo uncle said...

Niece dear, while I appreciate your intention of having fun, I do not approve of the same at my expense, considering my multi linguistic skills as well my profound knowledge of round-the-world cuisine. Absolute blasphemy! Learn from this decent noble gentleman a thing or two about how to respect uncles. Gem of a guy! I'm leaving you unharmed only because you happen to be this lad's friend.

Thoorika said...

Yup Arv .. It always is! :)

Thoorika said...

Nope ste! I stopped searchin for now! Busy with lots of other stuff :) what abt u?! Company called or not?! Take care!

Thoorika said...

You know tamil Ki ?! :) And how come I am not able to add you on facebook?!

Thoorika said...

LOLZ!!! Thomman!!!! I am laughing after a very very long time! I was laughing when I read the comment and I am still laughing now as I am writing this reply! :D :D :D !! Watch out for the next post uncle! Take Care !

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAH.. Your dad so funny!!! Like Arun, I also imagined those dialogues in tamil.. ROFL :D

Happy Family!!!

Thoorika said...

Its best when you know tamil! Though except for the yo mama part dialogues :D

Aparna (Life Takes) said...

its so funny...u have turned a everyda incident into a hilarious write-up :)

Thoorika said...

Thanks Aparna :)